We all hurt other people from time-to-time. Here are the steps to as complete a way to apologize that I know of.
- Ask them to share their feelings with you.
- Be present with them as they speak.
- Occasionally, reflect back what you heard in your own words, “If I understand you correctly, you feel….”
- Once they have run out of things to say, begin your apology:
- Make a sincere expression of remorse.
- Accept responsibility for your role in what happened.
- Offer to make amends for what happened.
- Promise to take the steps required to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
- Forgive yourself
©2016 Stephen L. Martin