I can’t give you a definitive scientific or psychological answer. I will explain my experience
- I don’t have the energy to go out.
- I may not have the energy to engage one-on-one in my house.
- I may not have the energy to get out of bed, much less bathe or brush my teeth.
- I just want to sleep.
- When you are seriously depressed, dialing a phone is difficult. I may have to dial a number 3 times before I get it right.
- I don’t want to bother other people
- I don’t want to be a downer for other people.
- Some people have little patience for depressed people. If I know this about someone, I will avoid them.
- Some people feel like they don’t deserve friends when they are depressed.
- I may be suicidal and pushing people away would make it easier for me to do it.
©2016 Stephen L. Martin
Painting: Depiction of St. Jerome during his isolation in the Syrian desert by Pinturicchio